||Presidents of the Chambers
The Presidents of the two Chambers are elected for the duration of the Chambers' mandate, by secret vote, in one or more ballot rounds.
The Standing Orders of the Chambers establish certain duties for the Presidents of the Chambers, which may be exercised by the vice-chairmen of the Standing Bureaux.
The President of the Chamber of Deputies has the following duties:
- to convene the Deputies in ordinary or extraordinary sessions;
- to conduct the proceedings of the Chamber of Deputies, compulsorily assisted by 2 secretaries, and to ensure the maintenance of order during the debates, as well as the observance of the Standing Orders;
- to give the floor, moderate the discussions, synthesize the issues raised for debate, establish the order of voting, specify the significance of vote, and announce its result;
- to conduct the proceedings of the sittings of the Standing Bureau;
- to notify the Constitutional Court, in the terms provided by Article 144, paragraphs (a) and (b) under the Constitution;
- to ensure the prompt dispatch to the Senate for debate of the bills accepted or rejected by the Chamber, or to the President of Romania, as the case may be, for promulgation, of the laws passed within the terms established by law;
- to represent the Chamber of Deputies in internal and international relations;
- to fulfil any other duties provided by the Standing Orders, as well as the tasks imposed by the Chamber of Deputies.
The President of the Senate has the following duties:
- to convene the Senate in ordinary and extraordinary sessions
- to conduct the proceedings of the Senate, assisted by 2 secretaries;
- to conduct the proceedings of the Standing Bureau;
- to ensure the maintenance of order during debates, and the observance of the Standing Orders
- to announce the result of the voting and the decisions adopted
- to ensure the connection of the Senate with the President of Romania, the Chamber of Deputies, the Government, the Constitutional Court, and the Supreme Court of Justice;
- to ensure the interim of the office of President of Romania, according to Article 97 under the Constitution
- to represent the Senate in internal and international relations
- to notify the Constitutional Court for it to deliver judment on the constitutionality of the laws or of the Standing Orders of the Senate, according to Articles 17 and 21 under the Law No.47/1992 on the Organization and Operation of the Constitutional Court;
- to fulfil any other duties provided by the Standing Orders, or tasks imposed by the Senate.